Check Ups in Great Neck & Port Washington, NY
Dental Check-Ups – What to Expect
- Your first dental check-up with Dr. Spector involves a discussion about your medical and dental history so that the doctor is fully informed.
- The next step is typically dental x-rays, which reveal any dental problems that are not easily visible. The doctor will also perform a hands-on examination to evaluate the condition of your teeth and gums.
- Following the examination, the dentist will go over the results with you and decide next steps if any are needed. If there are multiple dental procedures needed, a treatment plan will be created for you. A professional dental cleaning may also be recommended to remove plaque and tartar build-up.
- The last phase of the check-up involves a series of recommendations to improve your oral health. Instructions about proper brushing and flossing are common, especially when the existing routine is not satisfying.
- During the subsequent check-ups, the dentist may not go through all the steps mentioned above, since they already have a medical record of your health conditions. Instead, they will check the problem areas to record their progress. Also, they will provide you feedback on the way you implemented their recommendations and suggest further improvements or changes in the daily dental care routine.
How often should you go to the dentist?
Dental check-ups are best done every six months. Six months is the average time span between two check-ups, but depending on your dental health Dr. Spector may increase or decrease the number of annual check-ups. For example, if your teeth and gums are in good condition, and there is no significant plaque build-up in-between visits the dentist may agree to one annual check-up.
On the other hand, high-risk patients may need to increase the number of annual check-ups to three or even four. People who fall in this category are:
- Patients who smoke or chew tobacco
- Pregnant women
- Patients with diabetes
- Patients who suffer from gum diseases
- Patients with abnormal plaque and tartar build-up
- Persons with low immunity to infections.
Visit Signature Smiles for dental check-ups to save yourself the pain of infections or other serious problems. If you would like to schedule an appointment for your dental check-up in Great Neck & Port Washington, call our office today!