Teeth Extraction in Great Neck & Port Washington, NY
Offering Teeth Extraction in Little Neck, Douglaston, and Surrounding Areas
Types of Tooth Extractions
There are two primary types of tooth extractions, simple and surgical. During a simple extraction, the dentist will use forceps to remove the tooth completely. In more complicated cases the tooth may be removed in pieces for your comfort. A simple extraction is performed under local anesthesia. Surgical extractions are performed by the dental surgeon in cases where a simple extraction is not possible. Surgical extractions are generally performed under general anesthesia.
Post Extraction Care
After the tooth extraction, it is necessary to follow the dentist’s instructions. There are few rules that each patient must apply after such a procedure:
- Take painkillers and antibiotics as prescribed
- Do not smoke or reduce the number of cigarettes as possible as it may inhibit healing
- Refrain from spitting, rinse forcefully or drink with a straw in the first 24 hours to avoid dislocating the blood clot formed in the socket
- Eat mainly soft food after the procedure. Introduce solid food gradually and avoid biting and chewing on the affected side to prevent high pressure on the exposed gum;
- Follow normal dental hygiene procedures carefully to prevent infection. Avoid crushing too vigorously near the extraction area to avoid irritation.
- Rest for the day or until the anesthetic fades off
A tooth extraction should not be painful, and if the patient experiences pain during the procedure, the patient should let the dentist so adjustments can be made. If the patient experiences severe pain and bleeding that does not stop after the first 24 hours from the procedure, contact our office for further instructions. If you are in need of a dental extraction in Great Neck & Port Washington, call our office today to schedule an appointment.